Tuesday, October 5, 2010

2nd Day of Fieldtrip (Oct. 5, 2010)

DAY 2

Today, I went to UP Diliman in Quezon City held in NISMED Auditorium to fulfill our National Seminar. In the afternoon, we continued the tour in Department of Computer Science (DCS) located at U.P. Alumni Engineers Centennial Hall and visited the six DCS laboratories.

What I learned?

For spending my whole day in UP Diliman, I really learned lot of things and met several speakers that overwhelmed me. In the seminar, we have six topics that indeed covers useful facts, ideas and information for us IT and CS students. These were: Writing a Winner Thesis (Rose Ann Sale); Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graph (John Boaz Lee); Personal Learning Environment (Michelle Lee Moscatel); Animation (Len de Gracia); Mobile Device Game Development (Prof. Carlo Bott); and Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology (Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan).

In the first topic, I learned that we should take note of the five stages in making a thesis. The first one is the “Big Thinking” wherein the stage of knowing your topic. You should be transformed, inspired and challenged to get good topics. Second is the “Proposal Stage”. If approved by the adviser, you will now enter the “Burning the Eyebrow Stage” wherein you will feel the real stress in making the meat of your thesis. Next is the “Nerve Wracking Stage” where you will be able to use comparative test and tester profile. I learned that whenever got bored and drained, you do anything that might give you happiness. It is important for you to avoid breakdown. Then if successful, you are now in the “I Did It Stage”.

About the second topic, I learned that visualizing is a big help in finding the right and correct information of the data you are looking for. Like in wikipedia, if you are about to find a particular lets say meaning of a word, after you click the search button, lots of information will appear. So to be sure if any data is correct, you should learn to identify the unnecessary info. Tips were as follow: Identify data by means of color; Compare two most related information about the data; Get the unnecessary information. I also learned that this link will help you - http://wiki.smallworldgroup.com.

In the third topic, I learned that personalized learning + technology = Personal Learning Environment. In PLE, here you can have your own designed learning environment by taking control and managing your own learning. This is a system where the learners can apply the way they learn things using technology.

The things I learned in the nest topic was about animation. Though we didn’t really had the step by step process on how to make the animation, tips and types of software were given. I learned that as a beginner, one should really focus on practicing and program that can help you is the Maya and Unity 3d is the engine to be used. I just have to believe in the quality of my portfolio, the marketability a have, and gear myself towards my dream job.
The next topic was somehow related to the fourth topic. In the seminar, Prof. Bott discussed very new topics for me. Because it was all about gaming and honestly I am not fond of it. but then designing a game is quite interesting. Same as what Ms. de Gracia recommended, Prof Bott said it is best to use Maya as the program and Unity ad Torque. My learning in the last topic we discussed was that it is still important to have a right education in terms of technology. This only proves that nowadays an individual must learn well in technology.

After the seminar we went to UP Ayala Techno Hub then proceed to the DCS. I learned that UP really assist, mold aand advises their students on hoe to be more realible and competitive IT/CS students. They boost the potential of students through their six laboratories: Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Lab; Algorithms and Complexity Lab; Networking and Distributed Systems Lab; Computer Security Lab; Web Science Lab; and Scientific Computing Lab.

What I liked?

I liked the wide premises of the UP Diliman . I liked the way thy categorized and equipped every laboratories of high standard facilities. The way they enhance and develop the potentials of their students. I really appreciate the professors they have. And through these, you can be guaranteed of the education they provide. For the seminar we had, iliked the speakers and the facilitators. They chose the right speakers of the suggested topic of our professors. They imparted their knowledge to us as what I expected. I was not disappointed of the topics. I liked the souvenirs and how fortune I am to be one of the winners of UPITTC T-shirts drawn by them.

What I didn’t like?

I didn’t liked the place where we ate our lunch. Please just correct me if I’m wrong but I think its their pathway and because of our total number , they cannot accommodate us in their cafeteria. In the seminar, I was a bit annoyed of Mr. Lee’s actions as he delivered hid speech.i was also bit worried of Prof. Bott’s lecture because we were not able to really participate in his lecture. because he featured top ad professional examples and points while majority of us were just beginners.



Afternoon of Day 2 we proceeded on the UP Ayala Techno Hub located long Commonwealth Avenue, Quezon City. We first went on a company visit to SeaChange Philippines, Inc.  

  What I learned?

            Finally I was able to visit the Techno Hub. And one of the companies here is the SeaChange, Inc. I learned that company  provides products of multi-screen video, solutions and services for back office, advertising, content and metadata management, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally, including blue chips such as Comcast, Virgin Media, AT&T, Hutchison Whampoa, Vodacom and DISH Network. It is one of the largest software companies worldwide I learned it has subsidiaries like On Demand Group originally in London that leads to  interactive media development, content acquisition, service and content management, and television production. The eventIS originally in Netherlands product on Sept 2009 that develops and supports open software solutions for metadata management and video-on-demand VOD, enabling broadband and broadcast television operators to offer advanced multiplatform services. The VividLogic on Jan 2010 which provides software and services to cable television service providers, set-top box manufacturers and consumer electronics (CE) suppliers.
             And now the new application called Gemini App that was being market in USA and introduced here in the Philippines that enables your television to be viewed like computers. This is a three-screen VOD delivery system based on the vendor's Axiom 5.5.
It has features like weather updates, can pause and play movies and so many more. I learned that they program  it in a set-top box which is to be sell in customers then  access their control in a Motorola head-up that looks like a DVD player. Then they sell the set-top boxes to the cable company.

    What I liked?

            I liked the way they produce products because they really experiment and research for what the people are looking up too. I liked the fact that they introduce the Gemini in the Philippines because through that, we can really benefit from what we pay for the cable companies. Its nice to know that even if we are still students, they are still willing to show us what they are in the company, how they do such operation and we were given a chance to talk to some of their heads, staff, engineers, programmers and see the floors where they operate the monitoring team. 

    What I didn’t like?

            What I didn’t like is the limited time allocated to us. I also wanted to really listen to what they all say but I got tired and sleepy a bit so not all they shared were put in my mind.. I was bit disappointed because I was not able to take a picture because its prohibited.




            Another company we visited in Day 2 in UP Ayala Techno Hub was the International Business Machine (IBM) Corporation.

      What I learned?

             I learned that the IBM is now focusing in software, storage and system and servers marketing and not computers anymore. They have software like Information Management, Lotus software, Rational software, Tivoli software, and WebSphere software. IBM's Dynamic Infrastructure strategy and the backbone to a company's means of storing, protecting, accessing, and extracting new insights from its data and information.
           
            They also come up with products that are environmental friendly which they are now introducing and promoting. They called it as the IBM – A Smarter Planet. Which they use environmental storage  and system.

      What I liked?

            I liked office ambiance they have. They are willing to share and show the switches they use and decided to just cover it with glass so that for them also to easily monitor the system. I liked their company because they allow visitors to take picture especially in the IBM logo.

What I didn’t like?

            I didn’t like the way we were firstly gathered in the office because it has limited space only. Because of this, not all of us heard the brief lecture about their system. I also wished to have one souvenirs especially the IBM laptop bag they have. But then even T’ shirts were limited only.

No comments:

Post a Comment