Thursday, October 7, 2010

4th Day of Fieldtrip (Oct. 7, 2010)

DAY 4

Today, I went on a company visit to Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Philippines Corp. in Laguna Technopark, Binan, Laguna.

 What I learned?

Hitachi is a company having the main center in San Jose California that offers system solution for society providing products, system and solution based in latest advanced technology especially in information technology system. I learned that this company here in the Philippines focuses in making the global storage or their new advanced perpendicular head terabyte hard drive. In these product, they changed the design of the conventional longitudinal recording wherein magnets representing the bits are lined up end-to-end along circular tracks in the plane of the disk.

In perpendicular recording, the tiny magnets are standing up and down. Adjacent alternating bits stand with north pole next to south pole; thus, they want to attract each other more stable they are. I also learned and saw that the hard disk platter is sliced into long strips and the head is only 10nm.

This company also has three stages where they develop their perpendicular hard drive.: the Fab1 – rawstake layer; the Harmony ( needs extra careful because platter becomes sensitive to light ) ; and the Fab2 – slider layer. Also, all of the workers in the laboratories are all females for they say that females has very light hands.


What I liked?

I liked the technology product produced by Hitachi particularly the perpendicular head terabyte hard drive. It is very useful, reliable and convenient to use. I liked also the ambiance inside the Hitachi lab because you should be wearing foot covers and the mini museum gives you information of Hitachi’s history.

 What I didn’t like?

I didn’t liked the moment when we are all inside the waiting room, because we were divided into batches. And it gave me the tiring and boring feeling while waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment