Friday, October 8, 2010

5thDay of Fieldtrip (Oct. 8, 2010)


DAY 5

Today, I went on a company visit to Telecommunications Training Institute (TTI ) in Valenzuela City, Metro Manila.

     What I learned?

            I’ve learned that this institute is a very old government establishment that caters services, products,  and courses in line of technical objects in telecommunication. field. I learned that this institute came to have analysis on how to communicate as telecom. They have Digital Multiplex Master Station which they show the algorithms to be noted and plays important role in telecom.

             I learned that the flow of having a successful telecommunication should have Postage – Radio – Multiplexer – Pulse Code Modulation PCM – Switch. In Quantizing, when you need to convert analog to digital  you should use the 421 code. In the institute, they have antennas and in 1 antenna, they have 411 stations. They have 61 TB or Traffic Block which indicates who is calling in the area or station. They use Intracall Card  and every card caters 32 subscribers.

            I also learned about the Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) antenna which is a two-way satellite ground station or a stabilized maritime VSAT antenna with a dish antenna that is smaller than 3 meters. To communicate with the Agila satellite (the first and only satellite of the Philippines), first you have to position your parabolic VSAT antenna to 120º  Southeast azimuth with  50º  elevation. Then you should follow this flow: Indoor modulator -(connect to)- Outdoor modulator -(connect to)- LNA or LNB -(connect to)- VSAT Antenna.

What I liked?

            I liked the data given by this institute because it gave me information about the antennas and the right positions and flow on how to make telecommunication successful. I also liked the machines exposure and I appreciate the speaker Mr. Noel Lorenzo’s knowledge he imparted to us.

   What I didn’t like?

            I didn’t like the building because it is not renovated.


          In continuation of our company visit for the last day of our tour, we visited Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Traffic Engineering in Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila.
 
       What I learned?


    The knowledge I gained in the MMDA visit was really a useful information for me. Because I’ve learned how they monitor accidents and managed the traffic in whole Metro Manila. I’ve learned that they have 16 big monitors in the Metro Base and numerous flat screen monitors in around the base. This helped them in monitoring and checking the situation in the areas of  Manila. They have 128 modems for their connection and has 419 intersections monitored. And the IP camera they have which is bell shaped uses Ymax Antenna They divided the Metro manila into four sections: North-Region 1; West- Region 2; East- Region 3; and South-Region 4. they have two software used: the Nuuo  and  Multipix.

    In the traffic monitoring team, the engineer said that they also have Multiplexes Traffic lights and uses 5 local controllers. The flow of their connection is : lantern – controller – server. In every lane they put loop detection that will detect the speed of the magnetic vehicle, the gaps they have and the mass of each of them. For the whole lanes, the loop detectors are called the inductive loop with 1.5 x 2.5 m which when data were determined and calculated, the current will then determine how long will the light green will stay. After which, the current will then go to the other lanes. The software they use in the traffic lights is the Sydney Conducted Adoption Traffic System (SCATS). The main program used is Fortran and the sub-program is Assembler.

            What I liked?

    I liked the MMDA center itself because there you can see the traffic situation and would record accidents in the road. The software, program and hardware they use are very reliable. I liked their team because they welcome visitors and are willing to share and show the gadgets and hardware they use.

           What I didn’t like?

    I didn’t liked the limited time allotted for the company visit in this company.

No comments:

Post a Comment